What is Gum Recession?
Gum Recession is a common condition affecting the height of the gums covering the roots of the teeth.
There are a number of reasons why gums can recede. The most common reasons are:
- Stress leads to clenching and grinding which causes gum recession
- Overaggressive brushing or using a hard toothbrush
- Periodontal disease which can lead to gum recession
- Positioning of teeth too far out of jaw bone either naturally or due to previous orthodontic treatment with braces.
- Gums recede with age
Gum Recession - Before and After Treatment
Treatment Based on the Cause
- If it's related to clenching or grinding, a night guard or splint can help. Word of caution: Store-bought night guards are not made to your bite and keep your jaw movements into consideration. Long-term use of those appliances can permanently alter the position of your jaw leading to TMJ issues, clicking, pain, disk dislocation etc.
- The use of a soft toothbrush and brushing gingerly yet thoroughly around the gums will prevent any trauma to the soft and delicate gum tissues.
- Having healthy gums is the key to preventing periodontal gum disease and any gum recessions associated with it. Regular dental cleaning at Norburn Dental Centre will ensure your gums stay healthy.
- Proper positioning of your teeth is vital to the overall oral health. Dr. Dave can provide free Invisalign consult to help you achieve favourable teeth positioning
Once the health of the gums is maintained, gum recession can be reversed by a minor surgical procedure called gum grafting.
Not all patients and not all kinds of gum recessions are good candidates for the procedure.
This can be determined after careful and meticulous diagnosis and treatment planning with Dr. Dave.
START WITH A CONSULTATION
Preserve the health of your smile and schedule a free consultation with Dr. Davé today!